OPINION: Student Athletes deserve extra time on assignments

I believe student athletes should have extended time for school work on the days of high priority games or events. Student athletes, after completing a whole day of school and getting tons of work, may have to travel to their sport before their game begins. Everyone completes the game, but once they get home, it’s already late. They now have to shower, eat dinner, get to bed at a decent time, but also complete a bunch of homework assignments. Sleep is one of the most important things for student-athletes because a lack of it leads to tiredness the next day and a lack of concentration for both school and sports. This continues in a never-ending cycle for many.

Student athletes who choose to participate in a sport are not choosing this to try and get out of school assignments or gain extra time. They choose to do sports to be healthier, more productive, and overall do something they enjoy. One of the main reasons students chose not to participate in any school sports is because of the fear of not having time to complete assignments. To combat this, it wouldn’t be unfair to give a student extra time after coming home late from a game, because they would take advantage of the time they’re being offered as they are finished with their activities.

Personally, I’ve had games where I don’t get home till about 10 o’clock. By the time I finish eating dinner and taking a shower, it’s 11. I have to choose a side: staying up till 1 trying to finish my homework or getting sleep for the next day, and I’m not the only student who has this struggle. “I do believe student athletes should get extended time on work because most of the time they get home really late from games and it’s hard to complete it all at once,” said Swim Team Captain, Gabriella Bautista.

Another obstacle would be getting teachers on board with the matter. Many teachers believe students don’t deserve extra time because it won’t be this easy for them in the future. “I would give students extra time, but only on days of big events. I don’t want the students to think they would have all the time in the world as we would make arrangements,” said History Teacher Anetta Bourne.