Opinion: Give me my bathroom back.

Opinion: Give me my bathroom back.

I can remember it as if it were yesterday, the bell rang promptly at 10:40. The ten-minute break began. I rushed out of class. I put my books back into my locker and I headed down the loud hallways. My goal was clear. I walked with purpose. I headed to the bathroom. I was just in one of those classes where you cannot afford to miss a minute without being lost. I eventually made it all the way from the freshman hallway to the senior hallway to reach the high school bathrooms. Locked. The bathroom was locked. I was devastated, confused, lost, and ultimately, I was hurt. The ten-minute break was the time I ate a snack, talked to my friends and most importantly, went to the bathroom. I went to my next class and was told to wait 10 more minutes in order to be let out to use the restroom.

I understand that kids should not be vaping in the bathroom, but what does that have to do with everyone else? Realistically, if this rule was implemented in order to stop vaping, it’s stupid. It’s 10 minutes where children that are trying to vape, cannot. If there is a will, there is a way–also there’s the rest of the day.

The argument “well there is the rest of the day” could be used against my argument but when we were given the 10-minute break back, using the bathroom was one of the things we were told to do during this time. It was broadcast to the students and teachers as a more convenient way where the bathroom may be used to not interrupt class time. I am obviously grateful for this break and would be devastated if it were taken away.

Why would I take time away from my teachers and waste their time for me to head to the restroom when there’s a perfect opportunity for so many students to go. All my classes are the kinds of classes that if I even miss a couple of minutes, I’m completely thrown off. After talking to Dean Groothuis, I confirm that the bathrooms are locked due to vaping. He left me this message, “tell your classmates to stop vaping.”