Saw X: The continuation of a gory legacy

“I want to play a game” may be one of the most iconic lines in horror movie history, next to lines like “You’ll float too” and “What’s your favorite scary movie?”. If you don’t know that line is from the Saw franchise. The franchise released its first movie in 2004, and since then, has made 10 installments in the series. September 29th marks the release of the newest addition, Saw X.

The Saw movies are incredibly gruesome and gory. They have a reputation for being nauseating and making viewers uncomfortable. This movie upholds that standard. Saw X follows the story of John Kramer, aka Jigsaw, and his search to find a miraculous cure for his brain cancer. Kramer travels all the way to Mexico for this experimental and risky procedure. After the twist in the film, Kramer is met with a newfound purpose, to seek revenge on those who betrayed him.

Jigsaw is joined by characters new and old. The cast includes actors from all different shows and movies., including the talents of Micheal Beach from the 100,
Synnøve Macody Lund from Headhunters, Shawnee Smith from multiple horrors like Scream Queens and previous Saw movies, and we can’t forget the legend himself, Tobin Bell.

These movies are not for the faint of heart or for those who have a weak stomach. Most people who watch these movies are thoroughly disgusted. There is a reason these movies are rated R, meaning it contains the following; “intense gore, torture, and blood.” The entire basis of these movies is to torture and have them go through sickening challenges to escape death. Is your self-preservation strong enough to keep you alive? Different traps in the past have included pits filled with needles, bear traps around the neck, razor wire maze and many others. Some of the traps in this movie may be the best ones yet.

All and all, if you are a horror fan who likes puzzles and gore, these are the movies for you.

Saw X was released on the 29th of September. Saw X even goes so far as to produce Jigsaw popcorn buckets and cups with a movable Jigsaw action figure atop it. “Live or die, make your choice”, but before you do that, go see Saw X now, before it leaves theaters.