The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Gypsy Rose Blanchard: Resilience and Redemption

On the left is Gypsy Rose dressed as Cinderella as when she was younger, she liked to pretend she was a princess trapped in a tower and a prince would come and save her. On the right is Gypsy Rose during an interview with Dr Phil while in prison.

Gypsy Rose and her Story
On July 27 1991, Gypsy Rose Blanchard was born. Her mother, Claudine Blanchard, “Dee Dee” for short, had a condition known as Munchausen by Proxy, which is defined as by Mayo Clinic, “when someone falsely claims that another person has physical or psychological signs or symptoms of illness, or causes injury or disease in another person with the intention of deceiving others.” As just an infant, Dee Dee self-diagnosed Gypsy with sleep apnea which is when your breathing repeatedly stops and starts while asleep.

At eight years old, her mother then again described Gypsy as suffering from Leukemia and muscular dystrophy and claimed that she needed a feeding tube and a wheelchair. By the time Gypsy was eight, her mother said she suffered from muscular dystrophy, seizures, asthma, leukemia, and hearing and vision problems, none of which were the case.

Gypsy Rose also dealt with tooth rot, resulting in her having to have her teeth removed. It was speculated that the medication Gypsy was prescribed, because of her alleged epilepsy may have caused the tooth rot, or the removal of her salivary glands caused this rot.

The young girl was also convinced that she was paralyzed from the waist down, leaving her stuck in a wheelchair until she realized she was not. Young Blanchard went through multiple surgeries, with the exact number never confirmed.

The Start of the Escape
Her attempt started in 2011, when Gypsy met a man at a science convention who was 35 at the time. Gypsy attempted to run away but Dee Dee tracked them down using virtual friends online according to biography.com. Dee Dee convinced the man that Gypsy was a minor, despite being 19 at the time. As a result of her attempt, Dee Dee shattered Gypsy’s computer and restrained her to her bed for 2 weeks.
After some time, in October of 2012, Gypsy was able to sneak onto her computer, on which she met a man named Nicholas Godejohn on a Christian dating site. After some time of communicating, Gypsy revealed the truth to Nick about her health, and abuse from her mother. Nick said in the episode Gypsy Rose & Nick: A Love to Kill For, “I wanted to make sure her mom wasn’t going to harm her anymore. I made sure of that.” On June 9th, 2015 Gypsy Rose let Nicholas know that Dee Dee had fallen asleep and he went into the home. Gypsy hid in the bathroom and Nick stabbed Claudine 17 times.

What was she convicted for and why?
In July of 2016, Gypsy was sentenced to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder (when a person causes the death of another person with intention). She lived out her sentence at the Chillicothe Correctional Center according to the Missouri Department of Corrections. She was released on December 28th, 2023 and currently on parole.

The Rise of Gypsy Rose
Gypsy Rose first rose to fame when users of TikTok found out about her release and started praising her calling her “Mother.” After her release, Gypsy Rose created a TikTok account in which she grew even more from her post “Happy New Years Eve.” With one commenter writing, “Happy new years queen🫶”.
She then came out with a Lifetime docu-series that premiered on January 5th called, “The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard,” which was a six-hour feature on Gypsy Rose and her shocking story in which 2, hour-long episodes were released until the seventh of January.
The newly released star has also gone viral for her past comment in which she wrote and said during her Parole hearing, “That ***** is dead,” which is getting edited by Tik Tok users and comments saying, “ATEEE.”
For being away for 9 years, Gypsy Rose has caught up with the trends quickly and is loved by the social media community. Even with her traumatic past, Gypsy has gotten stronger and become a social media idol in our generation.