Forever and always

The couple that longs for each other knowing they can’t be together.

Forever and always. A phrase that holds enough room for infinite love and the hopes that your person will always be there for you. It’s easy to think that we only get one great love in our life. It’s even easier to think that heartbreak can ruin us so much that we don’t deserve to be happy.
When you love someone that much, you plan a future with them. You’re thinking so far in advance that the thought of breaking up can never even cross your mind. So when it’s over, you’re not just grieving the past. You’re grieving the future that you have planned with that person. You’re grieving the ring you thought would be on your finger and the kids you thought you’d have together. The person you would’ve done anything for is now just a stranger, and it’s time to rewrite your narrative.
It’s hard to imagine a new future when you spent so much time writing the last one. It feels like the future is paused until you can repair the past and get back the one you lost, but that life you pictured is not going to play out the way you thought it would. It may be hard, but now it’s time for you to live for yourself, and love yourself.
It’s a beautiful thing. Your life is now yours and you are free to do whatever you please with it. You can be yourself and not have to worry about another. You can learn to love yourself before you go on to give your all to someone else.
Heartbreak hurts, but it won’t hurt forever. Maybe we should change our perspective on pain. We’ve been blessed with a broken heart and that made that relationship real. We were blessed to love someone unconditionally and to be loved by them. We were taught lessons. Some good, some bad, but we had the ability to be loved and that is one of the greatest gifts we can be given in life.
Now that we have learned how to be loved by another, we can learn how to love ourselves: forever and always.