Rest, stress reduction, and learning: The case for a four- day school week

Four day school weeks have been a hot topic in Broward County schools recently. There are many varying opinions on the subject. This article will go over the pros and cons of four day school weeks, along with students and teachers’ opinions on the topic.
There are many pros with having four day school weeks. Some of these pros include less stress on students, more time to complete assignments, and students being well rested, resulting in them putting more effort in school. With an extra day off, students can use this to destress. This will allow them to be more relaxed and help with their mental health.
“I like four day school weeks because they give me more time to relax,” states freshman Manerva Ghantous, “It can help relieve stress that is put on me by homework and school work.”
Not only will it help them destress, but it will also help them complete assignments on time with the whole extra day that they get. Last but not least, four day weeks can help students be well rested in school and ready to give their all in assignments. This will not only raise the quality of their work, but will also raise their grades.
“In my opinion, four day school weeks help me refresh. I feel like four day weeks will allow us to do our homework without having to cram it in at the last moment,” states sophomore Angeline Hernandez, “It also helps me relax and be more ready for the next time we have school.”
Students are not the only ones that will benefit from these four day weeks; teachers will too. Teachers will be able to relax more and refresh, allowing them to teach lessons of a higher quality to the students.
But with pros comes cons. Some of the cons of having four day school weeks include, students schedule being interrupted, and school days being too long. With schools being longer than usual, student athletes, and kids with after schools activities can have scheduling conflicts. This may be a factor in making them not be able to go to these activities. Another con includes the days being too long. If not used right, longer days can be exhausting to the students. This may cause students to not put in full effort due to them being tired.
“Although four day weeks would be nice, the longer school days would interrupt my after school tennis practice.” stated sophomore Santiago Garcia.
This goes to show that the longer school days will cause schedule inconveniences for people who have afterschool activities that they attend that are not involved with the school.
All in all, four day school weeks have both pros and cons. There are many varying opinions on them, but only the future will tell if these four day school weeks will benefit us if they are implemented.