Ron DeSantis: Justice delayed is justice denied

G. Castro
How will the passing of this new bill affect the way those involved in the Epstein case (or even future cases not related) will proceed?

On February 29th, 2024, Governor Ron DeSantis passed a new law stating that secret grand jury testimonies (evidence) in cases that meet specific criteria are to be made public. This just so happens to include the evidence against the infamous Jeffrey Epstein.

What is the Epstein Case?

What the media knows of the Epstein case is as follows: Epstein was arrested on July 6th, 2019 at the airport after arriving back home from France. He was charged with several counts of sex trafficking and conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking. It is said that over the course of several years, dating as far back as 2006, Epstein had been sexually exploiting and abusing underage girls at his various homes in New York and Florida and he was registered as a sex offender in 2008. He was also exposed for paying some of his victims in order to recruit more girls to the same abuse they were exposed to. However, this is not the only thing that has thrown the media into haywire involving this case.

The Social Circle

Epstein had a rather large connection pool. He was reported to have been into contact with politicians such as Bill Clinton. Not only was he involved with politicians, but also with celebrities; Leonardo DiCaprio and Michael Jackson are some of the hotshot names that surprised people. While all these elite people had different backgrounds when it came to employment, they all had one thing tying them together besides knowing Epstein, and that is his island.

Epstein Island, or St. James Island.

As stated before Epstein was arrested back in 2019 for sex trafficking, and many believe his island, “Epstein’s Island” was the ring for all of his works. Here, he hosted several celebrities and big names who would take their “pick” of underage girls. Air traffic controllers and other airport personnel were said to have reported seeing Epstein on the island with girls who seem to be under the age of 13.

While many of his staff who were on said island at the time deny the allegations put against him and even say Epstein was a nice man did not help his case. His reputation as sex offender preceded him. Even further driving his case to the ground was an alleged victim who spoke up about her time on said island. CBS News managed to get the alleged victim, who was 15 years old at the time, to speak up on what it was like. The victim told CBS that Epstein had raped her and trapped her in a room with a gun to the bedpost. “The only means of getting off the island was either helicopter or boat.”

What happened to Epstein?

After being charged and arrested without bond, Epstein spent his last moments in jail. On August 10th, 2019, Epstein had died, with officials ruling it a suicide. His death was only a few days before his scheduled trial date.

What does this bill mean for future cases and why did he pass it?

This bill has one goal: to provide answers for victims as well as the public in order to prohibit fear, and that these cases would have remained untouched under older laws. Ron DeSantis told reporters that, “Justice delayed is justice denied, and I think in many respects, this whole ordeal has proved that to be true (speaking of the Epstein Case.)”