The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

A Fortunate Twist

“Stop making everyone’s life harder,” shouted Margot, Aspen’s work partner, dripping with coffee that was in her cup before Aspen bumped into her.
Aspen felt her eyes tear up; her heart ached at the thought that Margot was right. She has never been lucky. It wasn’t her fault though; it’s just how she has always been.
She wondered why this happened to her, that maybe it meant something. But then again why would no one like her for the way she was? Why did everyone have to complain and say insulting comments?
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that,” said Margot guiltily.
“No, it’s fine,” said Aspen, waving her hands in front of her. “I got fired. I wanted you to know, but instead I just ruined your lovely dress. I’m sorry.”
Don’t cry, don’t cry she thought.
“Well, I’ll be out now. You really made work entertaining, although I was probably a burden.”
Margot stayed quiet, verifying Aspen’s thoughts about their friendship, how it was all one-sided, where Aspen would depend on Margot and Margot would seemingly accept her fate in despair.
Aspen looked back at the building one last time remembering the thrilling designs she made and all her favorable memories, but they were overtaken by her not so favorable memories, like when her presentation for a new line of clothes crashed down to this recent coffee incident.
At home, Aspen was welcomed by Edith, her twin sister, the better half of her. She was the desired daughter that everyone wanted, someone who pursued her doctorate, with a lovely house, and a soon-to-be husband. Aspen was still living with her parents and jobless.
Edith stayed in town for a while, bragging about her life and success. Although Aspen was tired of her, her sister’s accomplishment gave her the courage to fix her life and stop being gloomy in bed all day.
Aspen’s luck wasn’t on her side… typical. She worked days and nights on a project to show off her skills in fashion design only to be rejected from all her potential jobs. Today she was heading to another one.
She wore a long, tight black skirt and a flowy blouse. She curled her long brown hair and applied light makeup, accentuating her freckles.
The sky was cloudy, and walking to her interview, luck worked against her again. Some teens knocked her into a bush by accident. They laughed at her. It took Aspen a while to get up, especially with branches tearing at her clothes. With embarrassment, she cleaned herself up and started walking again.
“Hello, my name is Aspen Larson. I have an interview?” The receptionist kept her eyes on her computer as she registered Aspen.
“Please take a seat,” she said.
“Sorry, but I had a small accident on the way here, could I borrow some scissors? I don’t want to look this bad for my interview.” The lady raised her head and inspected Aspen’s ripped clothes, then handed her some large scissor.
Aspen started cutting her sleeves short until there were no more holes and ripped open her skirt on the side, revealing her thigh.
Aspen was then called into the owner’s office, not knowing that she was being watched. The lady introduced herself as Daisy; it fit with her with her blond silky hair and emerald green eyes. Daisy got right to business.
“I read your portfolio, and I must say that I was fascinated. It wasn’t just words, it was you, and your designs were explicit,” said Daisy. Aspen smiled with shining eyes. “Also, impressive way to fix your clothes.”
They laughed.
“I’m willing to take a chance on you — you have a talent that I can’t let go of.”
Aspen walked away with a smile from ear to ear. As she opened the exit door, she covered her face from the bright light of the sun. Aspen closed her eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the world and she knew that this time, maybe just for this day, luck was on her side.