The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Momentum Dance Convention

L. Broecklemann
Attendees of the Wild Dance Intensive pose for a picture after a day of classes. “I feel like I came back a better dancer and I learned a lot of new skills,” Sophomore Sofia Abreu said.

On October 8th, dancers of the Momentum dance club attended a convention called, Wild Dance Intensive in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Momentum is a dance-oriented class that also serves as the school’s dance team. The club has a variety of tasks throughout the school year such as events like the March dance concert. They work heavily on their technique and give their dancers the ability to become professional and proficient in their work throughout their careers.

The dance team not only works in their own department, but also tends to incorporate themselves into other fine arts such as the Theatrical division as background dancers. The advisor, Mrs. Broeckelmann hosts these events as a way to fulfill her responsibility to prepare the dancers for the professional world known as dance.

At the convention, there was a combination of 7 different classes, where the attendees learned from professionals in each style. During the 7 classes, the dancers would learn a combo in which the teachers would choose a select group to do the combo for the whole room. Each class varied from a style of dance with 2 contemporary, 1 lyrical, 2 hip hop, and 2 jazz.

At the end of the convention, select attendees got to audition for scholarships. 3 of our very own momentum dancers were awarded; co-captain Sophia Basso, Karina Bosch, and Cameron Broeckelmann.

Captain Sophia Basso was able to become an ICON finalist, the highest recognition, which means that she is able to participate in being an assistant for the convention along with a full scholarship, which allows her to go to another convention for no cost.

“It was amazing.” Said Mrs. Broeckelmann. “[They] gave great advice to the dancers and I would go back to another class with any of those teachers.” Many students also felt like the choreographers were talented and extremely qualified. “There were really good teachers and they taught us a lot…” sophomore Cameron Broeckelmann said. On the other hand, some dancers did appreciate the teachers, but not the speed of which they were teaching. “I wish our first teacher had taught slower because he went through the combo without defining…” sophomore Sofia Abreu stated.

Many left feeling accomplished with the work they showcased and had an amazing experience. Cameron Broeckelmann rated the experience a “10/10” and is extremely grateful for the opportunity and everything that the convention did. Overall, the school benefited greatly from this experience and left the dance team better informed about techniques and professional dancing.