The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Presidential debates have gotten embarrassing

With the 2024 presidential election just around the corner, the Republican presidential debates have been filled with bickering, and petty insults.

“We have a lot of ground to cover, so please keep it civilized.”

This was the phrase Stuart Varney used at the second GOP debate for the 2024 presidential election. Considering the current political climate, the request is reasonable. But I still can’t help but find it embarrassing how those that are in the running to be the leader of our country still need to be reminded of how to properly debate with each other.

Rather than focusing on the issue at hand, political candidates slander one another, talk over each other, and even go as far as to insult the mediators and audience. One of the most notable moments from the first GOP debate was when Chris Christie told the audience that he was having enough of “a guy who sounded like Chat GPT,” referencing political opponent Vivek Ramaswamy.

To make matters worse, the American people don’t really seem to care. According to a Monmouth University poll, 87% of people said that it would be very unlikely that their opinions or positions would change based on a debate. These statistics reinforce that no matter how much politicians try to sell themselves to the voters, their efforts are proven to be futile.

For example, the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858 revived Lincoln’s political career and even resulted in a division among Democrats of the time. In contrast, more current debates, like the Biden-Trump debates of 2020 failed to make such waves.

The truth of the matter is that the presidential debates are no longer being taken seriously. The American people don’t see these “discussions” as productive or professional. But instead, they are treated like spectacles for the amusement of those looking to point and laugh as they watch half-witted lawmakers argue like children.

But the problem doesn’t only lie on the politicians, but the people as well. These politicians consistently put the American people’s priorities on the back burner and it shows. So why do we keep electing them?

This isn’t to say that this is an accurate representation of how all Americans think but, whenever I talk to someone about an election, local or national, they never seem to truly like any of the options. Still, they make it a point to vote.

While I agree that all Americans should take advantage of the opportunity to vote, I loathe the idea of picking between the lesser of two (or possibly more) evils. The American people should vote for whoever aligns with their own beliefs most, rather than picking whoever pisses them off the least.

Perhaps America’s priorities have changed forever. With all the responsibilities, the American people are burdened with these days, many don’t have the time to worry about grown men and women yelling at and insulting each other.

No matter the reason for how America has gotten this mess, it is the younger generation’s responsibility to fix it. However, this change can not only occur through voting, but through research and policy focused engagements. This upcoming election, we need to bring back the focus and dignity the debates used to once have.

It’s time to put an end to the elections of those who take representing our state and country for granted.