From Middle School Memories to High School Hype: The Controversy over December Spirit Week

R. Taveras
Students of Ms. Palumbo’s class dressed up for ‘Ugly Sweater Day’ on December 19. “Everyone celebrates the holidays so it shouldn’t just be for half of the school,” said freshman Sydney Leath.

With every new graduating class, the question seems to come up quite often; should high school be included in middle school’s Christmas Spirit Week? As the little Panthers prepare for their spirit week from December 18th to December 22nd, it’s time to figure out if the union would be unfair or a fun celebration!

“For the first time in 4 years, we’re going to be having a pep rally again on Wednesday that week,” said MS Language teacher Mrs. Muñoz. This is one of the major stepping stones in this year’s Spirit of Giving as middle school has not been able to enjoy a pep rally since COVID-19 hit in 2020.

During this week of giving, they will also be accepting donations and partnering with Key Club and NHS to ensure every child gets a gift this Christmas, Muñoz also adds. Now that the basis of Spirit Week has been covered, should it be brought to high school?

Some students feel that it is not fair to have multiple Spirit Weeks as high school already has their Homecoming week. “I don’t think it should be, simply because high school has a Spirit Week already,” says Senior Kaitlyn O’Neil. “Compared to middle school, it’s a fair opportunity for both of us to have an equal Spirit Week.”

Other faculty members feel that things should be kept the way they are. High school’s Spirit Week fits hand in hand with the Homecoming while the December Spirit Week would have no activity to go hand in hand, Munoz also mentioned.

On the other hand, some students disagree and feel that the week is for everyone to enjoy and shouldn’t be restricted to grade level. “The Christmas [week] is for everyone to celebrate so I think they could celebrate with us while we have our week,” says 8th grader Luke Polacek.

Many Panthers don’t mind not having the whole week; they just want to be able to participate in some way. “While high-school doesn’t have to participate in the whole spirit week, we should at least be able to wear pajamas on the Friday before break,” says freshman Sydney Leath.

There are students and faculty who are also indifferent about the topic. High school SGA Advisor Ms. O’Neil feels that the Week of Giving allows for middle school to be involved in our school’s activities, just as high school has their week. This is an incredibly important factor as inclusivity and engagement is a large part of our school’s community, especially with such a wide range of age categories.

Regardless, Christmas Spirit Week is a time to enjoy no matter the debates happening. Just as middle school loses their December Spirit Week when they enter high school, they gain a Homecoming spirit week, just as every other year before them. Enjoy Little Panthers and make sure to celebrate your festive week!