The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

The price of knowledge: Under-covering the secrets of the educational system

Every high schoolers dream….

A wise man, George Washington Carver once said, “Education is the key that unlocks the golden door to freedom.” Education is the gateway to a brighter future, and when we think of high education it is usually paired with the idea of schools like Stanford, Duke, and overall, Ivy Leagues. But is that goal even attainable? Some of these schools have acceptance rates from 2-6%. Obviously they won’t let just anyone in. This begs the question of whether or not money affects what schools we get into.

Money is a sensitive topic, and society often jokes about the importance of it. “Money is happiness” or “Money makes the world go round” is commonly used. But, have we ever stopped to think of the possibility of that becoming true?

When it comes to college admissions, financial resources can play a vital role in various ways. Take for example a school with a high tuition fee, this makes it easier to get into by students from wealthy families. One could even argue the fact that money can make it easier for students to access resources like test prep, college counseling, and extracurricular activities, all things that can enhance their application. Additionally, some families can afford to invest in private tutors or specialized programs that give students an edge. However, it’s important to remember that college admissions committees strive for fairness and consider a wide range of factors. Former U.S President Barack Obama famously remarked, “The key to getting into a good college is not just about having a big bank account, but rather about having a big heart, a curious mind, and a determination to succeed.” This highlights the importance of qualities like passion, intellectual curiosity, and perseverance in the college admissions process. It reminds us that while financial resources can provide advantages, they are not the sole determining factor in achieving academic success and getting into a good college.

There’s one other question that arises when talking about money in the educational system. Although this might come out harsh, “Are schools so desperate for money that they will still accept people who don’t meet the academic criteria?” Don’t get me wrong, I love money too, but schools have reputations to uphold. Take Harvard for example; they have a GPA average of 4.18. Do you think a campus would hold money at a higher standard than their school image? Especially a school like Harvard? Definitely not. A quote specific to this situation has stuck with me throughout the years. “No amount of money can buy intelligence, and no prestigious college would risk their reputation for a quick buck.” It emphasizes that the value of education goes beyond financial gain.

Continuing on, education should be an even playing field for all. Despite what has been previously said, there have been instances where individuals with high social statuses have had an easier time gaining admission to prestigious colleges. These situations can happen due to factors such as legacy admissions, where people with family members who attended the same college have an advantage, or through generous donations that can influence admissions decisions. One case example could be Instagram influencer Olivia Jade Giannuli, daughter of actress Lori Loughlin and fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli. Back in 2019, there was a scandal as they were accused of paying bribes to ensure Olivia’s odds of getting into the University of Southern California (USC). While these cases do exist, it’s important to remember that they don’t represent the majority of college admissions. William Fitzsimmons, the dean of admissions at Harvard stated, “College admissions strive to create a diverse and vibrant community of students who will contribute to the intellectual and social fabric of the institution.” So, while money and social status can provide certain advantages, they are not the sole determining factors in college admissions.

All in all, it’s my opinion that money shouldn’t be the sole determining factor in college admissions. While it’s true that financial resources can provide advantages, statistics show that the majority of college admissions decisions are not solely based on wealth or social status. According to a study by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, “Factors like academic performance, extracurricular involvement, essays, and letters of recommendation carry significant weight in the admissions process.” So, while money can open doors, it’s important to remember that hard work, personal achievements, and demonstrating your unique qualities are key factors that close it.