The Wrong Idea – Idolizing the Wrong Celebrities

We idolize people who smoke. We idolize people who drink. We idolize people who kill. We idolize people who harm. When will we idolize the good?

“I tried dippin; he begged me to stay
Bae, I’m not stayin; I just wanna play
In the party, he just wanna rump
Big b**bs and the butt stay plump.”

Kids idolize these lyrics. Kids live by these lyrics. Kids recite these lyrics as if it were poetry. But do they know what they mean?

These are famous lyrics by songwriter and rapper, Ice Spice. This song highlights the “baddie” body image and sexual intercourse. Without prior knowledge, you must believe she sings for the adult population. While her specific goal may not have been for the ears of children, about half of kids ages 8-12 on Tiktok listen to her music. That’s roughly about 11 million children who could still be in middle school hearing this. Eleven million children who are pressured to keep up with today’s songs. 11 million misguided children putting their attention and free time into stuff they know they shouldn’t be listening to.

Have you ever been told, “If you wouldn’t listen to it in front of your parents then you shouldn’t be listening to it at all?” Artists like Sexyy Red, Doja Cat and Nicki Minaj could all be quoted a couple thousand times for lyrics that children shouldn’t be hearing. In no way is this the artist’s fault, kids should not be listening to things that can inspire such behaviors.

According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, “Many of the rap lyrics contribute to the suicide, violence, and inappropriate sexual content in lyrics that also influence and contribute to teens taking part in drugs and alcohol in a younger age.”

To elaborate, Rap Artist YNW Melly released the song “Murder on My Mind” in 2018. At first, children thought it was just another popular tune. However, over time it was discovered to be a confession to his suspected double murder of two young rappers. Despite this, children continue to listen to this song and others like it, singing them passionately while ignoring their message. Moreover, “Murder on My Mind” peaked at No. 8 on Spotify’s US Top 50 list and No. 10 on the US Viral 50.

Majority of the time kids listen to these artists under the assumption that it makes you cooler, or more likable. This is the problem. The problem with society’s influence on others that makes kids act out. Thinking that if they don’t know these songs word for word, or by heart they’ll be “clowned” or made fun of. For example, the new released song by Drake featuring Sexyy Red, called “Rich Baby Daddy”. The most popular lyrics by Red are,

“Bend that a** over (ow), let that – breathe (yeah)
Shake that a**, bi*** (ooh), hands on your knees”.

Those are the lyrics in the most appropriate manner and yet they are still unsuitable. I interviewed middle school students who go to Renaissance Charter School at University asking if they had listened to this song, and if they had heard it because it’s popular or because they genuinely liked the music. Every 1 out of 4 kids admitted to hearing or listening to this song, usually off of TikTok, or out of the mouths of their peers and had no real interest in the song other than its relevance.

While it’s important to acknowledge that some rappers may have explicit lyrics or controversial behavior, it’s equally important to recognize the positive aspects they bring to the table. Rappers often use their music as a platform to express their personal experiences, struggles, and emotions. While this does harm, some lyrics can motivate or strive a person to do better in any aspect. For instance, “Lose Yourself” by Eminem is all about seizing opportunities, overcoming obstacles, and giving your all to achieve your goal. Continuing on, by listening to some artists’ music children can gain a better understanding of the diverse perspectives and realities that they will soon be awake to, without becoming too unsuitable. Artists like Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole, and Chance the Rapper are all still very popular but still inspire wisdom with their words.

Ultimately it’s up to the children, families, and the communities around them to determine who they idolize or look up to. Children’s influence nowadays makes it hard to resist listening to certain people by always singing their songs, bragging about attending upcoming concerts, or the chatter of influencer “tea”. Kids should remember that their peers shouldn’t affect their every move, which reminds me of the common rhetorical question, “If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?” Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s always the best decision; trust your own judgment!