The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

The media desensitizing school shootings

Photos from different people on the news of the victims, and photos from the schools cameras, from outside of the schools and others

On December 6th, 2023, a school shooting occurred at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Three dead and several more injured. A lot of you probably haven’t heard of this incident, and even so, it has gone unnoticed and moved past. People are losing hope of issues like this stopping. No one cares anymore; parents are scared to bring their children to schools and students are scared of their own campuses. The violence is never ending. Children and young adults are dying at a high rate. No one pays attention to the news anymore. This is because there’s always violence in the media. The amount of frequent exposure to graphic images and videos on social media has reduced the emotional response over time in our society. People care less to pay attention or to see how impactful something might be in someone’s life.

The news is everywhere; shootings happen more frequently now then it has ever happened before, all over the word and in our nation. People only access the news when they have heard of such a horrible event that happened near them or was posted online, or they saw a video on it and want to know what happened. But this is such a rare thing to see, as most wouldn’t even open up the news site on the web, or look for the right number to watch it on T.V. I can vouch for this, since I don’t ever watch the news unless I’ve heard of a horrendous crime, or something that’s bizarre on social media.

Violence is everywhere, in games, in movies, in videos, just pretty much everywhere, and in real life. Though it’s rare for you to actually experience it in real life time, it exists. There’s many games like GTA for instance where many just load in a weapon and hurt NPCs (Non-playable characters) that are out on the street, like some of us who might just walk down a road. We don’t expect to randomly get attacked for just “Game Play,” however it does happen. Innocents are dying every day, and people don’t even bat an eye. Kids, some not even knowing what’s going on, being happy to see their teacher everyday, not even thinking about what could happen next in the “safety” of their own school where it’s meant to be a safe learning environment.

There’s a lot of constant violence in the media you might not see, but it’s everywhere; just a simple click of a button and you’ll have thousands and thousands of videos of people being killed, injured, or just fighting because someone talked about somebody else, along with the pounds and pounds of bullying. People see it so much that it doesn’t really faze anyone anymore. The frequent exposure to graphical content gives people the idea that it isn’t always serious. People get the idea that it’s not real, laugh at it, or just continue to scroll to the next video. It’s so out there that people don’t even try to have an impact to stop because they know it’s going to keep on happening every day, every hour and every minute.