The murder at the masquerade

A. Barrios

Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom in Aurelia, there lived a lovely prince, and a girl who wanted to kill her prince. Yeah, this is not a happy ending story.
In fact, this kingdom has never been happily-ever-after, especially with the man at the throne ruling the kingdom like it’s all fun and games.
Long before he took the crown, the kingdom of Aurelia was peaceful. People would walk around feeling safe knowing that everyone was kind, generous and respectful. The people would open their doors and greet anyone to their houses to have some tea or a nice meal.
Now, the streets are filthy, especially in the poor parts of the kingdom, where all the commoners live. People would close their doors before the sun sets, or as known around here the “lunatic time”. Where the higher ups would go around the villages of the commoners and do whatever they wanted since the “rules” do not affect them.
Rose, a commoner who has witnessed this cruelty, had a mission from the secret company that she worked for. Her goal was to kill the prince so that he would not be the next heirs to the throne.
The king invited every royal person to his palace to celebrate his son’s upcoming crowning ceremony. Rose’s teammates were able to fit her in the list of quests to attend the royal ball.
When Rose arrived at the palace she could see the real wealth of royalty. She walked over to the ballroom, where she was welcomed by the hands of some guards opening the door for her. She looked around inspecting the room. In the center there were people dancing, on the sides people talking, eating, and drinking wine. On the far-left corner a small orchestra.
In the middle back of the room 3 royal chairs, on the right the prince, in the middle the king with a glass of red wine, and on the left an empty seat for the queen who passed away a long time ago.
Rose looked at the prince and anger filled her. She wanted to just end him right there and now, but she couldn’t, at least not with everyone watching her. She would be sentenced to death.
She looked into the eyes of the prince and immediately erased her thoughts and changed her face. She bowed, looked away and walked down the stairs to join the other guests.
She inspected every person in this room, from top to bottom. She noticed ladies wearing fine jewelry and some wearing poor jewelry that she could notice from a mile away. She inspected their attire, as some wore different types of necklines. Some had long dresses and others had short dresses, all in different types of styles.
Rose inspected her reflection through the window. She wore a red strapless tight dress that flowed like a mermaid tail at the end, with lots of black and red layers in the back creating a small tail. She wore some gold jewelry and curled her blond hair, giving it some volume. She wore some black heels with red bottoms, and wore some short black gloves to not reveal her fingerprints to anything that she touches.
The males wore the same type of outfits, some wore vests, others had long sleeves jackets, some jackets were long and others short, everyone wore all kinds of colors, some had gold or silver jewelry around their clothes like diamonds or spots. They all wore boots with pants that matched their tops.
The prince wore a long sleeve royal blue jacket with gold spots around his chest area and on his shoulders, he had white pants and black boots, and his black hair slicked back.
After a while, the orchestra started playing a slow waltz song. Everyone could hear the extravagant sounds of each instrument. The piano started the lead of the music, the violins, clarinet, and flutes followed, with some melody. Then a tuba, French horn, and a double bass played a soft rhythm in the background.
Men started to introduce themself to the ladies and asked out to dance. They waltzed around the room, going back and forth. Turning and circling each other. Exchanging partners and getting to know new people. This was the perfect time for Rose to sneak out and “use” the bathrooms that were outside of the ballroom.
Rose excused herself from the guest that she was communicating with, she walked over the bathrooms then looked back before turning around and heading to an inside balcony facing the dance floor. Once she entered, she made sure to lock the door and keep the lights off.
She had her arrow aimed at the prince’s back, a perfect shot despite the crowded ballroom. She took a deep breath before preparing herself to shoot. But then her target turned around and looked at her in the eyes.
Rose was confused, no worried, no anxious, whatever it was she had to let go off. She held her stance firm and let the arrow fly. The prince dogged it. Rose’s eyes widened, the guests started running around, the guard barged in, but the prince just looked up from the arrow to Rose’s eyes.
She took another arrow, fast and steady shot one more time. This time she had hit a guard, in the shoulder, that was protecting the prince.
She heard the loud footsteps of people approaching her, so she just took her bow and arrow, and ran. Ran as fast as she could until she was in the darkest part of the woods. She ran so fast only to be captured by the prince.
Rose screamed, calling him names like “monster” “why would you destroy us” “why can’t you just be gone”.
The prince stared at Rose. He let her go from his grip. Rose quickly took her bow and arrow raised it aiming it at the prince’s heart. He insisted for her to wait and explain what was going on. As Rose noticed how clueless he was, she explained how it was her mission to end his life to save her world. To stop the horrendous treatments of the higher up toward the commoners.
To avenge her queen who wanted peace in the world before she passed, a woman who changed Rose’s life. The woman who gave Rose a home, the woman who took care of her and her family by visiting and lending them food.
The prince’s face changed, he felt sorrow, but why? He acts like he did nothing and if like he was not part of his father’s actions. But why?
Because he was not. The prince explained how he was never allowed to leave the palace; he was only allowed in the royal village outside the kingdom. He begged and begged for Rose to understand and believe him; and she did. She could tell that he was sincere, he was an honest person.
Rose lowered her weapon and fell to the ground crying, shaking, and breathing heavily. She could not believe that she was about to end the life of an innocent person; and the queen’s son who she admired and loved with her heart.
The prince approached her slowly and kneeled next to her. He placed his hand in her shoulder, reassuring her that everything was going to be alright, and that when he takes the throne he will make this world a better place for everyone, commoners, and royalty.Rose hugged him as a thank you, and sorry for her actions, and they stayed like that till Rose calmed down
Then the sound of a crack went off and the whole world went quiet. Rose coughs as deep red splatters through her lips. Trails of red were being created in the ground, she felt her body warm. She sensed something falling on her cheek. She slowly opened her eyes and saw the prince staring at her crying. She inspected his face one more time, he had soft brown eyes, and freckles all over, some were in the shapes of hearts and others in circles.
She looked to her side to see the king holding the same bow and arrow that she aimed at the prince. She looked back at the prince and stared into his eyes.
“Thank you for making my mission better than expected. Make this world a better place for us, your mom, the people, and for me.” Rose coughed again, her eyes blinked slowly. “Please don’t forget about me. ” Her last words echoed through the woods, as she closed her eyes and passed in the arms of her lovely prince.