The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

How to weather the storm of college apps; advice for future seniors

Senior Hannah Harris going through her college application and making sure it’s perfect for submission.

It’s college admissions time, and all the seniors at CSCS are in panic. The amount of
work that must be done in such little time is causing many seniors to be put under
immense pressure in order to get their applications out before the deadline. If it’s
not writing your college essay, then it’s the resume that has people scrambling, and
if it’s not any of those things, it’s trying to get a meeting with Mrs. Pepe.

Many seniors’ main advice was to start working on important things, such as college
essays, during the summer. “You need to start planning earlier than you think,” said
Brianna Grbic. “Start at least brainstorming your ideas over the summer, especially
if you are a procrastinator. Initially, it’ll be stressful, but it’ll be like a huge weight
was lifted off your chest.”

Your college essay must have a max of 650 words, no more. Here are some topics you could potentially write about: Goals in your future, a person who has inspired you, how a major event in your life impacted how you grew up, etc.

Alongside your essay, start building your portfolio/resume. List what major clubs
you are in, certain community service programs you have taken part in and any
awards you have received.

Another big thing you could knock out the way is SSAR, or Self-Reported Student
Academic Record. Colleges such as FSU, USF, and UF require this to be submitted
alongside your application. It is a history of all the classes you took throughout
your high school career, as well as the grades you got. Start slowly entering in your
information, so by the time you get to senior year, you only have to do some of your
junior year classes.

The biggest advice of all is take some time for yourself. Getting into a college is a
big part of your future, but you must take care of yourself first.

“Take your time and don’t overthink it,” said senior Suzette Smith. “If you pace yourself, you’ll be extremely relaxed for your first part of senior year.”