What is the Lifesaving Club?

A club that encourages students to be better, and improve on their skills.

What is the Lifesaving Club?

The Lifesaving Club is a club to improve your skills in becoming a lifeguard. Senior Scott Smith, president of the Life Saving Club, started the club last year 2022, with the help of vice president Justin Berg and advisors Cherry Wells and Mr. Asencio.

Smith started the club because he wanted a balance from school and work. Sadly, there was a problem with that, since he had to work a lot of hours due to not having many workers. “With not enough lifeguards, we didn’t have enough employees at the time. Now we do, so we are keeping the club alive to help other cities and other issues with that problem,” said Smith.

When the idea of a new club was brought up, “it was a really good idea. We didn’t know or think that they would be able to get it off the ground, but we are excited that they persuaded and continued such, so we think it’s a good opportunity, and it’s cheap compared to like what it normally costs,” noted principal Gary Springer. The Lifesaving Club has brought many smiles and great achievements throughout the year that has made many proud.

The club’s purpose is to solve the lifeguard shortage throughout the United States, especially in Florida, within Broward County. The club is mostly focused on “getting people certified, and helping them find careers in lifeguards,” said Berg. Their events are mainly focused on educating students and teaching them as many skills as possible for them to be successful.

The Lifesaving Club offers certifications that are much cheaper than in other areas. If you are 15 years old, you are capable of getting a certification in the following: lifeguarding, shallow water lifeguard, or aquatic in water parks. Along those lines, if you are 14 years old, you are capable of getting the following certifications: babysitting, CPR, or first-aid.

Having students that know these kinds of skills has made our school feel safe because “if something were to occur there are students who are able to assist or provide a hand,” said Springer. This is all thanks to the Lifesaving Club and their teaching. Enhancing such skills have helped people succeed and help others when they need the favor most.

If you like helping others, learning new skills, and working as a lifeguard, then this club is for you. Come give a hand to Smith and his team by joining them in their next meeting and joining the club. It is never too late to try something new that might end up changing your life and point of view.