The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Caribbean Student Association: Bridging cultures, inspiring unity

Tai Johnston
CSA members jumping and celebrating at their first Caribbean Festival ever which was a very big success.

The Caribbean Student Association is the place to be where you can learn about your culture and meet others who are just as proud of where they come from as you. This club is a place where Caribbean students can talk about and go to events based on Caribbean culture and where they are from. It has given students a comfortable space where they feel that they truly belong.

The CSA is going on their second year as a club at Coral Springs Charter. They are proud of their culture and heritage and every meeting is a blast. Their meetings have a variety of activities such as bringing in Caribbean foods from their culture and everyone trying them to immerse themselves in the culture. They also focus on a different country for most meetings and learn more about that place, so they have an understanding of many countries in the Caribbean.

This amazing club wouldn’t be able to run without an advisor, and while it wasn’t her idea to start the club, she has done an amazing job of bringing these students together into the group that they are. Mrs. Clarke Morrison is the advisor for the association and her purpose is to spread awareness about Caribbean culture. “We have a large Caribbean community here at our school, so just somewhere they can come together and celebrate”, says advisor Mrs. Clarke Morrison. The CSA is more than just a club. They are a group of students who want to learn more about where they came from while informing others about their heritage as well.

The CSA is run by many student officers who are proud to bring their peers together. The president of the club, Tai Johnston, has brought this club together from the ground up. “I started this club because I’m Caribbean and I know there are many other Caribbeans in our school, so I wanted to bring out the culture and make sure everyone knows about it.” says Johnston. The CSA had their first ever Caribbean festival last year which they wish to bring back again this year with more food trucks and games to bring out other students so they are more informed of the culture and of our club.

“We spread cultural awareness about our heritage to others within our school” says senior Christopher Gayle. For such a new club, the CSA has brought many students together and wants to have as many students join as possible. It is all about celebration so they can learn about where they came from and teach each other because it is so important to know about such diverse cultures. However, it is not just for the students in the club, it is for their peers who don’t know much about their cultures and want to have an understanding of these Caribbean cultures.

In the end, Johnston described her culture as bright and beautiful. That’s what this club is, finding out more about where you came from and immersing yourself in it. Everyone should know about their heritage and what their people do. The Caribbean Student Association is an amazing experience where students get to come together with their peers and people from their culture, or even others who don’t know that they get to teach. This club is a safe space where everyone can feel comfortable, and where you are greeted with a smile no matter who you are or where you come from.