Charter After Dark: Seasonal Depression Amongst Students

Lorintz Compere
A student going through an episode of seasonal depression.

Christmas to Hanukkah, Kwanza to Bodhi Day. No matter how you celebrate, December is usually a time for festivities and fun, when families and communities come together and enjoy time with one another. However, many at Charter are feeling the opposite of jolly this time of year.

Seasonal depression is defined as a type of depression that occurs during certain periods of the year, winter for example. Many have speculated as to how it may be caused. Some say seasonal depression is caused by factors such as the decreased sunlight, irregular sleep patterns, and just plain genetics. On the other hand, some say seasonal depression is a result of people realizing they have no one to spend or celebrate the holidays with.

A 1995 provides insight on this important issue. Around 1,700 students were handed questionnaires by psychiatrists in Washington, D.C. Around 2 to 6 percent of students polled were determined to possibly suffer from seasonal depression. However, this does not mean students do not feel a constant feeling of sadness. In another poll conducted during 2021, 42% of high schoolers reported feeling persistent feelings of hopelessness and sadness for 2 weeks or more. 22% have seriously considered suicide in the past year.

These results are extremely concerning. While these emotions are not generally considered the norm or even in the majority, it is significant enough to sound the alarm. Numerous experts across the globe have agreed that teen mental health has declined significantly these past few years. With the current crisis in teen mental health, it may seem daunting to even attempt to tackle the issue at hand. However, there are a variety of proven ways people can help.

One of these is talking to friends or relatives. Simply having someone to listen to your issues can have a great impact on your mood. No matter how you choose to seek, do so with the intention of getting better and with someone interested in your betterment as a person. Stay safe and happy holidays.