Building minds, creating hope: Mental health week

Senior Gabriel Catala at the butterfly release supporting mental health week.

Mental health week was celebrated on January 8 to January 12. This week was celebrated at Coral Springs Charter School and was organized by SGA.

“Mental health spreads awareness and to lessen the stigma and to start the conversation,” said Guidance Counselor 10/11 Kowalski.

Throughout the week, SGA conducted a series of events which represented mental health.

The events followed as so: on Monday there was the “It starts with you” event which consisted of Mirror affirmations. The mirror affirmations were displayed in the bathroom with phrases that said “you are enough, you are beautiful and you are worth it.”

On Tuesday, it was the “Spread Kindness” event which displayed various sticky notes on the lockers that said “to take it one day at a time, and to have a good day.”

“I believe that the kind words on the mirror really helped a lot. I was having a rough day at school that day and seeing something nice really made my day,” said freshmen Kayle Mikaulson.

On Wednesday, there was “Body Positivity” where a body image video was posted.

On Thursday, there was the “Living drug free” event which consisted of drug lessons and therapy dogs.

This week gave many students a time to reflect on themselves and what mental health week means to them.

“What mental health week means to me is that we should all unite to help those who are struggling and those who may not have a structured household and those who are not as privileged as others,“ said senior Gabriel Catala.

On Friday, I went to the butterfly release, where many of the students met outside the middle school entrance. The students were then handed envelopes that said “change is good.” Within these envelopes, there contained butterflies. The butterflies signified being able to let go of what has been holding you back and allowing you to start anew.

“Mental health week is a time to enjoy the world around you and really appreciate life, friends, and family,” said senior Christopher Gayle.