The rise of influencer brands: why do we love them?

A. Erez
Rare Beauty is a brand created by actress and singer Selena Gomez. It has gone viral again and again, but is it because of the person, or the products themselves?

Fenty, Rare Beauty, REM Beauty, Kylie Cosmetics, Haus Labs, About Face, and the list goes on and on and on again. Celebrity and influencer cosmetic brands have been on the rise, and everyone wants a piece of that high demanded business.
Celebrities and influencers creating their own makeup brand has been a popular way of making more income. They are their fans’ idols and trusted role models giving them credibility. Thus, many fans end up buying their products. If Rihanna says a product is good, wouldn’t you want it too? Welcome to the world of celebrity endorsement.
When celebrities have their own brand, they make sure it’s different and unique. This is a good way to differentiate from celebrities or other popular brands, which is why marketing is important, even for celebrities. Though their credibility plays a big part in their marketing, brands like Rare Beauty, Fenty, and REM Beauty, use other techniques in branding and marketing their products.
Most of these brands sell their products at Sephora who’s marketing strategy is letting customers try the products first-hand. This influences the customer’s decision on whether to buy the product or not.
Fenty markets their products by establishing a “connection” between their customers. This is by engaging with their community and being active on social media. They listen to the people, and that makes them feel valued.
Rare Beauty and Kylie Cosmetics market their products on their social media as well. However, Selena Gomez does this by using TikTok and participating in viral trends. An example is when she participated in the trend, ‘Get Ready With Me’ and used her own products to do her makeup. It showed her as a more vulnerable person, which made the video feel relatable and authentic to her fans.
Haus Labs labels their brand as clean and artistic. If celebrities and influencers don’t continuously mention and market their products, people would just forget they own a cosmetic brand in the first place.
Another way these brands are special is their packaging. Celebrities make sure to package their products in a way that represents them. Rare Beauty has easy accessible packaging. Their lip products and blushes have a sphere on top of the applicator to easily grip on and open. It is accessible and inclusive. Fenty has a diamond packaging theme. Other celebrity and influencer brands make their packaging unique too.
Although they are celebrity owned, makeup brands can be helpful and create something unlike any other, so when people hate on influencers for “just trying to get more money,” you can rest assured that that is not always the case.