Dance to Impress: Momentum dance tryouts

Sabrina Marill
All the contestants at the Momentum Dance tryouts posing together for a picture.

Momentum is the school’s advanced dance group, and consists of dancers with previous dance and performance experience. It is run and coached by Mrs. Broeckelmann, who teaches all the dance electives. They rehearse for upcoming performances such as district Thespian Competitions as well as the spring shows. They recently held tryouts to look for new dancers to join the 2024-2025 season.
Tryouts were held in the auditorium on Tuesday May 14, and Wednesday May 15. Many girls came to try out for the team. The team is a very important aspect to the school’s dance culture and events, they are looked upon to be very entertaining and talented in their dancing. The tryouts started at about 2:45 after school and went on to around 5.
On the first day they started off by going through the regular procedures of getting there and getting comfortable and figuring out the next steps of the auditions. Then they learned a dance altogether. They later went into groups to practice the dance separately. The rest of the day was spent practicing in those groups.
On Wednesday (the second day of tryouts) was when the actual auditioning took place. They performed the dance in groups of 4. The dance was a jazz routine with a good amount of difficulty in it to really challenge the contestants. The judges consisted of Mrs. Broeckelmann and 3 other school staff. The seniors who were former Momentum members also watched from the back. They really appreciate the experiences they had with the club and are very excited for the next generation of Momentum.
“Though I am sad to leave behind the years of good memories and establishment, I am so excited to see what the new girls have to offer,” said senior and former member Mya Perciak. “I see lots of potential and I know that they will make us proud no matter what.”
In terms of potential new members, a good majority of upcoming sophomores tried out. Emma Vido, a soon to be sophomore says “Getting on to Momentum during my high school years is very important to me. I have a passion for dancing, and since Momentum is the best of the best, joining would create new experiences and memories for me. Plus, it will open up countless opportunities in the future”. I also asked for her feelings about the seniors leaving to which she said “It breaks my heart because those are some of my closest friends, but I know they will go on to do great things and the new group of dancers will try their very hardest to make them proud and live up to their performance.”
To conclude, Momentum is a very important aspect of Coral Springs Charter. Their tryouts were very eventful and it is clear that the new members will have been amazing next year! Even if the seniors who have done such an amazing job are leaving, Momentum will continue to amazingly thrive with new people.