The Great Water Bottle Divide

Canva
There is a divide in whether students prefer using Hydro flask or Stanley cups.

Drinking water and staying hydrated is crucial for the health of people. When it comes to what bottle to drink out of, there is a divide at CSC about whether Stanleys or Hydro Flasks are the best option to use.

Hydro Flask has been a popular water bottle brand for many years now, but recently Stanley cups have been sweeping people away on to the newest trend. Stanley cups have been around for over 100 years, but due to social media, have increased in popularity significantly. In order to combat the rise of Stanley Tumblers, Hydro Flask released a very similar bottle named the All Around Travel Tumbler. It is very comparable to the Stanley tumbler; however, it is seen as more leak-proof, with a unique rubber-sealed pull lid. The Stanley tumbler is always spilling out water when it is knocked over, while the All Around Travel Tumbler is better built for going upside down and swinging around, making it the more practical choice for clumsy people.

Sophomore Karina Bosch stated, “I really like my Hydro Flask because I can use it for lots of activities and it doesn’t ever spill. I’ve seen people get covered in water because their Stanley got knocked over, while if my water bottle were to fall, it wouldn’t make a mess.”

The pricing of the water bottles is almost identical, the 40 oz Hydro Flask being $44.95 while the 40 oz Stanley is $45. Yet Stanley offers more flexibility in their tumbler sizing. They have 14, 20, 30, 40, and 64 oz size options, while the Hydro Flask has only 40 and 32 oz tumblers. However, taking into account the other water bottle designs Hydro Flask has to offer, they have a more extensive size range from 12-128 oz. Overall, both brands offer lots of sizes to choose from.

“I love my Stanley because it is easy to carry around and drink out of. The brand also offers a bunch of colors to choose from, so there is really something for everyone,” stated freshman Alexandria Boul. She went on to say, “There are also many cute straw covers that people can put on their Stanley straw to protect their drink. I’ve seen all different shapes of covers like stars and a strawberry.”
They are both customizable with engraved graphics and text. Stanley takes this to the next level and allows customers to insert their own picture to be engraved onto the water bottle. Stanley engravings are $10-12 while Hydro Flask only cost $6, nearly half of the price.
Both water bottles seem to be loved by many and have their own perks that make them special, but for now, the Stanley is definitely the popular choice at CSC. Although it is unclear on how long these water bottles will stay in the spotlight before a new trend comes along, they are seen sported by a ton of students and teachers alike. Hydro flasks, on the other hand, have been decreasing in popularity but still maintain a strong stance as a great water bottle for many loyal customers.