Best bang for your buck: Which advent calendars and gift sets are most worth it

C. Golcu
Ceylin Golcu stands in front of a gift set display stand, wondering which one to pick. The display includes high-end brands like Mugler, with the perfume costing around $100.

I don’t want a lot for Christmas, there is just one thing I need: an advent calendar! It’s the time of the year, and Christmas is almost here! Advent calendars are starting to come out.

Advent calendars are the perfect holiday gift. Whether it’s for yourself, a friend, family member, or a significant other, everyone can enjoy one! However, there is one problem. What advent calendars are really worth it?

Advent calendars are calendars that have numbers on each section/flap, indicating the number order of flaps you break each day of advent. Each flap typically contains something inside. For the last day, or the day of advent, there is normally a bigger or better prize. Best is always last!

Along with advent calendars, gift sets are also coming out. Gift sets contain multiple products in the same box. They are bought as a set, and can be cheaper than the actual items when bought separately.

Many stores have been spewing out advent calendars and gift sets left and right. You can find them at stores such as Sephora, Target, Macy’s, Kohl’s, and even 5 Below!

Finding the best gift set or advent calendar for you depends on many factors, such as your budget, the quality you want, the brands you like, what type of advent you want, etc.

For example, you may want an advent calendar with a majority of skincare products. You may have a super high budget and only care for good quality or long lasting products. Or, you may be looking for an advent calendar with cheap makeup with certain brands you trust.

Due to all these factors that come into play, the advents and gift sets are split into 2 sections. Each section has numerous sub sections on what kind of gift set or advent it is, and whether it’s expensive or affordable. The more expensive one is labeled ($$$) and the cheaper one is labeled ($).

Here’s the best advent calendars per category!

Best Skincare ($$$)
24-Day Advent Calendar | CLARINS®

Best Skincare ($)
12 Days of Glow Advent Calendar

Best Makeup ($$$)
12-Days of Kylie Advent Calendar

Best Makeup ($)
12 Days of Beauty Advent Calendar

Best Assorted ($$$)
Charlotte’s Lucky Chess of Beauty Secrets

Best Assorted ($)
Beauty Must Haves Advent Calendar

Best Fragrance ($$$)
12 Days of Bombshell

Best Fragrance ($)
12 Days of Macy’s Favorite Scents

Best Specialty ($$$)
All Together Advent Calendar

Best Specialty ($)
12 Days of Kissmas

Gift sets are different from advent calendars, as they generally provide less products for a lower price. Gift sets usually provide a mix of mini and full-size products, meanwhile advent calendars usually contain minis. Here are the best gift sets per category!

Best Skincare ($$$)
Drunk Elephant Set
Fruit Babies Glow Recipe Set

Best Skincare ($)
Skin Care Gift Set

Best Makeup ($$$)
Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Set

Best Makeup ($)
Rare Beauty Blush and Glow Set

Best Hair Care ($$$)
Gisou Honey Gift Set

Best Hair Care ($)
Sephora Favorites Hair Kit

Best Assorted ($$$)
Sephora Favorites Holiday Makeup Must Haves

Best Assorted ($)
e.l.f. The All Day Every Day Holiday Cosmetics Gift Set

Best Fragrance ($$$)
Sephora Favorites Mini Perfume Set

Best Fragrance ($)
Calvin Klein Fragrance Set

Best Specialty ($$$)
Best of Maracuja Juicy Lips

Best Specialty ($)
Tower 28 Beauty Lip Gloss Set
LANEIGE Midnight Minis Set

With the holiday season coming up, it is the perfect time to buy gift sets and advent calendars for your loved ones (or yourself!)

View Comments (1)