The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

The Secret Behind the Fragrance: Is it really that bad?

Autumn Erez
TikTok viral skincare and makeup with heavy fragrances, including E.L.F. Stay All Night Setting Mist, three sizes of Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops, and Glow Recipe Avocado Ceramide Recovery Serum.

Fragrances in cosmetics has been booming in 2023! This year many brands have gotten into using fragrances. There are many who are supporting this decision, and others who are afraid. The rumors of fragrance in cosmetics and skincare are spreading like wildfire. But is fragrance in products really as bad as people say it is?
You may be thinking, “What is fragrance?” According to the website, accessdata.fda.com, the term fragrance means, “Any natural or synthetic substance or substances used solely to impart an odor to a cosmetic product.” In simpler terms, it’s the ingredient in products that gives it its distinct scent.

Many products have fragrances. Even everyday products that you use, that you may not even think about, can have fragrance in it. Some examples being; shaving cream, shampoo, body wash, some skincare products, some cosmetics, and of course perfume.

Products with fragrance in them can have its pros and cons. For some people the ingredient doesn’t affect them at all, and for others, it does. For some parts of the body, fragrance isn’t an issue, and for other parts it is. There are many factors to consider.

Products can have different amounts of fragrance. Especially depending on what kind of product it is. If the word “fragrance” is listed at the bottom of the ingredients list, it means it has low concentrations of fragrance. (Usually 2% or less depending on what the product is.) This is safer to use. If it is at the top of an ingredients list, it means it has high concentration. It is the main ingredient of the product. This is normally a red flag, and should be avoided. Especially if the percentage is high.

Some pros of fragrances are that they give you a distinct smell that you may enjoy. It also enhances your mood, your self-image, and makes you feel more relaxed. You may enjoy the smell of vanilla, so using products with that scent can make you feel better about yourself. Scents like lavender or rose can make you feel more relaxed. Scents that can enhance your mood are jasmine and rosemary. Simply liking a certain scent, and using it on yourself can make you feel happier overall.

Many people are scared of fragrances. They see videos or photos online of people having a bad reaction to products with fragrance in it, which causes them to avoid the product or ingredient completely. However, these reactions do not apply to everyone. For example, you can have a higher tolerance to certain percentages of fragrance.

Fragrances in products are usually used to mask the scent of a product. Plus, there are many products that can be very good for your skin, and can still consist of fragrance.

However, fragrances aren’t all that good either. Especially if you have sensitive skin, allergies, or you got patch tested. People with eczema or rosacea for example, are highly likely to develop an allergic reaction. So, if you do fall into any of those groups, fragrance should be highly avoided.

Another issue with fragrances, especially fragrances that are inside skincare, is that they are not good for acne prone skin. Fragrances can be a hormone disruptor. People with acne prone skin usually have some sort of hormone imbalance. So, using skincare products with fragrances daily can break you out or irritate your skin.

Fragrances are not for everyone. Some people may only use it on certain parts of their body, while others may avoid it overall. Everyone is different, and just because one person has a bad reaction from an ingredient in a product doesn’t mean you will too. So, do what is right for you and your body.