What’s all the talk about dupes?

Dupes have recently become a popular thing and have been spiraling social media. “Dupes are just affordable and give you the same effect,” says freshman Peyton Moser.

In the past year, dupes have become more popular, especially makeup dupes. Dupes are a more affordable version of expensive products. They are made to copy or duplicate the original thing.

Many popular drug store brands have been known for duping many expensive brands such as Charlotte Tilbury, Drunk Elephant, Too Faced, Benefit, Anastasia, Milk, Dior, and more.

Perfect Match

One of the most popular trending dupes is the e.l.f Halo Glow Filter. This product is made to mimic the expensive Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter. This product is a light coverage, almost like a skin tint, that is supposed to give a glowy look. The retail price of the Flawless Filter goes for $49.00, and the dupe only goes for $14.00, which is less than half of the actual thing. Both products have 12 shades, similar applicators and packaging and give a similar dewy base.

The LOreal Paris True Match Lumi Glowtion in the shade 904 deep is a dupe for the wildly popular Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Drops. The Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Drops are known to always be sold out and very hard to find. They are made to give your face a tan, sunkissed look. You can find Lumi Glowtion at stores such as Target, Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens. The retail price of the D-Bronzi Drops are $38.00, the Lumi Glowtion goes for $14.00 which is again less than half of the expensive version. The D-Bronzi drops are a bit more similar to a bronzer meanwhile the Lumi Glowtion is more of a tinted moisturizer. Both products have a similar shade and give a sunkissed look. They may not be exact but if you’re looking for something quite similar it’s a good option.

Another example is the Hydrating Lip Glow Oil Pumping Gloss on Amazon. This product is a dupe for the Dior Lip Oil. Dior is a high end brand with its own makeup collection. Its most popular makeup product is their lip oil. The retail price of the Dior Lip Oil is $40.00, meanwhile the dupe is only $6.00. The Hydrating Lip Glow Oil Plumping Gloss on Amazon makes a great dupe and pretty exact. Both products have extremely similar packaging, although Dior has seven shades and Amazon only has five. They are still very similar. So if you’re not 100% willing to splurge a lot on lip oil but want something very alike, this is a great dupe.

Dupe Diaries

“I’m always finding more dupes on social media as they are becoming a more popular thing. They are a good affordable alternative for those popular products that everyone loves but can sometimes break the bank,” said Freshman Sarah Olivares.

Makeup products now can get super expensive, so dupes are a great way to save money and get that great quality you’re looking for.

“As a person who owns dupes I find it super convenient because if there is a product I want but it is out of my budget, I can rely on other brands at my local target to have just what I’m looking for,” said Sophomore Hayley Black.

As dupes are rising on social media and becoming a big trend, it is capturing the eye of all makeup lovers. Dupes have similar quality and are only a fraction of the price. You can rely on makeup dupes to always make you feel confident and thrifty.