The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Skincare Routines: You’re doing too much and not enough

A. Erez
Freshman Carolina Rodriguez applies Sephora Collection Watermelon Hydrating Face Mask. These face masks retail for around $6, but are not a crucial step in a skincare routine.

Skincare can either be the key to or the bane of everyone’s existence. Everyone needs a skincare routine. However, it can be complicated to make one.
A skincare routine requires balance. It also needs to be made specifically for you and your skin type. Or else, instead of helping you, your skincare routine may just be the cause of your skin’s problems.
It is important to find balance in your skincare routine because if not, it can be too much for your skin. If you have too many skincare products that exfoliate the skin, it can cause damage to your skin barrier and can be extremely drying. You would need to include some sort of moisturizer to balance out your exfoliating product.
There are also skincare products that can cancel out your other skincare products. An ingredient in a product you use can cause your other products to stop working. So, you must either wait in between each product you use, or not use that product at all.
Some people use too many products in their skincare routine or not enough. Using too many products makes your skincare ineffective. Your skin won’t be able to absorb all the products. If you have too little skincare products, it may not be enough to get the job done, and you may be skipping vital steps. A good skincare routine should include a cleanser, toner, up to three serums, a moisturizer, and sunscreen.
The order of how you use your skincare matters. Using your products in a certain order will make it most effective. This is because of a product’s absorption consistency. If you use it in the wrong order, some of the products may not absorb in your skin, thus making your skincare routine ineffective. A good order for your skincare routine is washing your face with cleanser first, then using a toner, then using three serums (in an appropriate order, in order of thinnest to thickest consistency), and finally, using a moisturizer and sunscreen.
Everyone needs a morning and night skincare routine. It is important to prepare your skin in the morning, and use stronger products at night. You cannot use some products at a certain time of day, such as tretinoin. It should be used at night. Using it in the morning can cause extra sun damage. However, you can use it if you take extra precautions, such as using sunscreen. But it isn’t recommended since retinol cancels out skincare products that are good to use in the morning, such as vitamin C.
Finally, consistency is important in your skincare routine. If you don’t use your products consistently, you won’t see any results or changes in your skin. It may also cause your skin to get worse. For example, if you skip using moisturizer or sunscreen, your skin can form fine lines and wrinkles. Inconsistency in your skincare can cause oily skin, dryness, acne, uneven skin texture, etc. Consistency is crucial if you desire results.
Skincare can be a pain to figure out. It can be stressful and overwhelming to try to find the right products for you and do everything correctly and consistently. However, once you figure out these vital details and understand how skincare works, you’ll feel more at ease. It can be an unwinder and stress reliever instead.