The vanishing minutes: exploring the trend of shorter songs in today’s music

Canva
Music has been declining in the length of music in turn calling music to slowly lose its spark.

Music is a universal language that allows people to express themselves through characteristics such as lyrics and rhythm. Whether you are creating the tune itself or merely listening to it, music is something everyone can enjoy. While music brings joy to its listeners, I believe that it has actually begun to lose its spark.

Many people may argue that the quality of music is the cause of this downward spiral. The songs being produced no longer have distinct contrast. Everything is becoming repetitive and bland. I believe that this statement is very much true. If we take a look at the songs being released, we can see the same cursive singing style picking up in popularity, songs about heartbreak being released by the dozen, and the same sad bass in the background. It has become increasingly difficult to find a song that is different from others, one that is a breath of fresh air and restores people’s faith in the music industry. However, I believe the biggest problem when it comes to songs is the music quantity, and by that, I mean the song’s length.

To further explain my point let us take a look at songs dated in the late 1900s and early 2000s. Songs like Bills, Bills, Bills by Destiny’s Child or Maria by Justin Bieber are around four to five minutes long, giving listeners a more “filling” performance. While songs in the late 2000s, like B**** I’m Nasty by Rico Nasty or Woman by Doja Cat barely break the two/three minute barrier. While both of these have a satisfying ending to wrap it up, it leaves me thinking, “that’s it?”

I truly do not know why songs have become shorter but I do not believe it has anything to do with the laziness of artists. I believe it has everything to do with the fact that music has been around for centuries and it is hard for artists to find the right “sound” for them without being accused of copying as proven before. Song writing takes an insane amount of creativity and understanding of how words flow together.

Overall, music has begun to shorten in length. Even so, I do not think music will ever decline in popularity. People will enjoy music no matter the length and will continue to express themselves, but everyone can agree that it is a little disheartening to have your favorite song only be a mere minute and thirty seconds long.