The pointless hype: Why you don’t need Drunk Elephant

Ceylin Golcu
Drunk Elephant is a popular brand that many skincare lovers rave for. It was launched on August of 2013, but recently has peaked in popularity, particularly among a tween audience.

Recently a skincare brand called “Drunk Elephant” has gone viral all over TikTok. Everyone seems to be using it; the young, the old, teens, kids, adults, the list goes on.

A TikToker that goes by the username of ‘katiefanggg’ is a well known influencer that uses this brand’s products daily. Her “skincare smoothies” in her videos are what caught the audience’s attention.

Skincare smoothies are when you mix the Drunk Elephant Protini Moisturizer or the Lala Retro Moisturizer with other Drunk Elephant products. Such as their B-Hydra Hydration Serum, D-Bronzi Drops, B-Goldi drops, etc. They all get mixed together in one “smoothie.”

Wanting to be like her, people including kids started to buy Drunk Elephant products.

It did not take long for the rave over Drunk Elephant to become a problem. People started to make skincare smoothies with Sephora testers; thus making a mess of the testers and Sephora stands.

Those who do not need Drunk Elephant also started to use their products, such as people of the wrong age group and people who do not have the skin type Drunk Elephant is targeting.

Drunk Elephant states that their skincare products are okay for all ages. However, most of their products are targeted towards a very specific group of people. Like their products with retinol and acids. Those products are for more mature skin. So, it is important to know which products are for you.

Drunk Elephant products with retinol in them are for older people. Retinol is supposed to help with aging and wrinkles. 10-year-olds do not need anything of the sort in the first place. They are still extremely young. Most Dermatologists recommend retinol for 25-year-olds and up. Even then, retinol can still be too strong of a product for the skin.

According to Drunk Elephant’s website, the general rule for acids in Drunk Elephant products is that it is intended for 13 year olds and up. These acids aren’t as strong as retinol, and can help teens with things like acne, oily skin, dry skin, etc. Teens still need to be cautious on what they put on their skin. It might have too high of an acid percentage for their liking.

Though there are many limitations for tweens, there are still products that are okay for their skin too. Kids 12 and under can use products with no retinol and harsh acids. As long as they have an adult with them and do a patch test before using the product on their face or anywhere else on their body.

Here are some products intended/safe for each age group:

25 and up:
Protini Polypeptide Cream
T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum
Protini Powerpeptide Resurf Serum
T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial Facial Lisstant
A-Passioni Retinol Cream
A-Shaba Complex Eye Serum
C-Tango Multivitamin Eye Cream
Ceramighty AF Eye Balm
Bouncy Brightfacial Masque Illuminator
A-Gloei Maretinol Oil
All the other Drunk Elephants products are safe for this age group.

13 and up:
B-Goldi Bright Drops
C-Firma Day Serum
O-Bloos Rosi Drops
The products that are safe for 12 and under are also safe for 13+

12 and under (also safe for those older):
Lala Retro Whipped Cream
Bora Barrier Repair Cream (depends on the level of dryness of the skin)
D-Bronzi Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops
Beste No.9 Jelly Cleanser
Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defence (SPF is good)
B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel
F-Balm Electrolyte Waterfacial Masque hydratant
Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil

If you do buy these products because it’s safe for your skin, it may not even benefit you. Making skincare smoothies out of your Drunk Elephant products will make it so that the products will no longer be as effective. The products would basically cancel eachother out. It may even make your skin even worse. It can cause a damaged skin barrier, redness, irritation, and breakouts.

Even if you are the group Drunk Elephant is targeting, and you do use their products correctly; is buying Drunk Elephant really a need? Or is it just a desire? At 10-years-old, is a overpriced $60 moisturizer worth it?

Kids truly don’t need Drunk Elephant’s products. A cheap gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and SPF is a good routine for them.

Just know if you do buy these products, you’re buying it for the brand. Not the product itself. There are many products that do the exact same thing, and are cheaper. Possibly even better.

If you do choose to buy Drunk Elephant at a young age, just be aware that you truly don’t need the product. Even if you think you do, your options are not limited and there are many alternative products available.

Drunk Elephant is just a brand people overhype and make a trend to buy. However, like all trends, in a few months time, it will be forgotten.