The Student News Site of Coral Springs Charter School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Charter Music Scene 5 | Nicolas Abreu

Cameron Khouri
Nicolas Abreu playing the drums in the chorus room. He’s been a drummer / percussionist for 6 years.

Nicolas Abreu is a senior. He’s been a musician for 6 years, and now he’s focused on becoming a serious quad drummer. He’s extremely passionate and spends a lot of his time practicing. He wants to one day open a drum school for people interested in learning the quads. This is an introduction to his thought process and ideas behind this.

How long have you been producing music?

“6-7 years, I started playing drums & made beats in FL Studio. Since then I’m now primarily focused on playing the (quad) drums.”

Would you consider yourself “popular” amongst your peers?

“Within my inner circle of friends. Outside of that, not really. I do have a YouTube channel that I upload my drumming videos too. It’s been pretty successful.”

Favorite Sample-Sharing Services?

“Splice, mostly, because most of their samples are extraordinarily high quality and there’s so many to pick and choose from.”

Favorite Song You’ve Made?

“My friend and I would drum together and come up with ‘licks’ (quick solos or fills that add the flavor into music.)”

Favorite Piece of Music Gear?

“Definitely my practice drum pad, I’ve had it for 3-4 years and I’ve gotten lots of use out of it.”

Favorite Musicians?

“Les Claypool is one of my inspirations. He’s one of the best bass guitar players out there. I think he’s a big inspiration and definitely an example for any serious musician.”

What’s your general process when you sit down to make a song?

“Back when I made music in FL Studio, most of my creative ideas would come late at night. I would sit down, come up with melodies, drum beats, everything and at the time I thought it sounded very cool. Nowadays if I were to make a beat on FL, I’d probably sound even better now.”