Maintaining New Years Resolutions

Gautam Arun
Freshman Joey Manza is excited to live up to his New Years resolutions!!!

New year, new me! This is what many people state when the New Year starts. They start making goals called New Year’s resolutions to better themselves and the things that they do. Although all this is good, only 9 percent of America’s population follow through with these new year goals. So, what makes them so hard to follow through with? And what are some ways that you can follow your New Year’s goals?
Many factors can lead to New Year’s resolutions failing. Some of the main factors that lead to this include, but are not limited to, unrealistic goals, lack of discipline, and setting very easy goals. Although they have simple fixes, they can cause loads of damage to your new year’s resolutions.
Unrealistic goals are a big killer of New Year’s resolutions. When setting an unrealistic goal, it becomes very hard to follow the process to the goal, causing it to fail. These unrealistic goals can also make the thing you are trying to achieve seem impossible, making you not want to put in the effort to even start your goals, which kills it off instantly. An example of an unrealistic goal is losing 60 pounds by the end of the month. This is nearly impossible and a very hard goal to start with. A simple solution to unrealistic goals is to start small and then add on. By starting small and simple, you will start to achieve the goals you set. By achieving these goals, your confidence will start to build, giving you the belief that what you are doing is working. This means although you are making small progress, you have a start. Once you have accomplished this small goal, you will make a bigger goal. Once you’ve achieved this bigger goal, you go bigger and bigger. This helps your goals become achievable, helping you make progress. At the end of the day, making 1 percent of progress every day with small, simple, obtainable goals is much better than making no progress with a near impossible goal.
Without discipline, accomplishing your resolution can become a very hard task. If you only do your goals when you feel like it or when you are motivated, then they become very hard to achieve. This is why you need discipline. Discipline is when you do what you have to do regardless of the circumstances. An example of this is if you go to the gym or go for a run when you are extremely sore. Another example of this is if you turn down unhealthy foods at a party when you are trying to lose weight. By following your goals in situations where you don’t feel like doing it or in situations where it is difficult to follow up with the task at hand, you start to make your goals a habit, making them easier and more consistent. By having the discipline to follow your goals no matter what the circumstance, you will make much more progress and will be set on the path to achieving your goals.
If a game is way too easy, then it is not fun and gets boring. The same thing applies to New Year’s resolutions. Many people make their New Year’s goals way too easy. Although you will achieve your goal, it will not be fun, and instead, it will be boring. When something is boring, it is much harder to do than when you are having fun or when you are being challenged. When your goals are too easy and boring, you will get distracted from them and eventually stop doing them because you do not get much joy out of them.
All in all, there are many factors that can cause you to not achieve your New Year’s goals. But by applying the solutions provided, these factors can be eliminated, making it much more likely that you will achieve your New Year’s resolutions.